April 17, 2012
Accomplishment of Design Objectives: All of my objectives where met except one. There was not enough time for me to go through and use the sheet metal portion of solidworks to do my Design Project. Unfortunately between my other class and work obligations it just did not allow enough time to try and learn something new. I believe there is room for improvement on my design. I have found more resources for this project such as the internet and another book on this subject. Before I attempted to build this intake this summer I plan to revisit my design and rethink some of my design. One of the things I don’t like about my design is that it is too tall and will put the blower sticking out of the hood of the car.
Design Process: The design process was a matter of physically measuring a set of intake gaskets for a 360 Dodge magnum motor and an intake. The process was pretty straight forward. I have produced the solid models of the parts for the intake and also design drawings. The resources that were used were a book by Jefferson Bryant called MAX-Performance Buick. I work with the Engineering Equipment Group at Boston Scientific and the two designers we have were a great resource for SolidWorks questions.
Lessons learned: One of the lessons I have learned from this project and from being a Tool Room Machinist/Tool Maker is taking the time to be very thorough in my thought process before starting on any project. My objectives were pretty straight forward and with staying on track were not extremely hard to achieve.
Sources: My main source for information on my project was a Book called Max-Performance Buick by Jefferson Bryant. For SolidWorks my coworkers were a great resource for information. I did find on the internet several shops that fabricate intakes for other applications and they were helpful in making of some of the design decisions.